Groupe du Bateau-lavoir are the French words to refer to “the group from the floating wash house”. It is the name of a building in the Montmartre district of the 18th arrondissement, Paris. From 1908 and until the WW1, the dwelling was a squaller occupied by Pablo Picasso (1881-1973), Robert Delaunay (1885-1941), Juan Gris (1887-1927), Fernand Léger (1881-1955), and Amadeo Modigliani (1884-1920).
Two of the movements that came out of this flatshare scheme were Cubism and Orphism.
While residing in the house, Picasso painted one of his most famous works, Les Demoiselles d’Avignon (originally termed The Brothel of Avignon).
After WW1 Bateau-lavoir evolved into something much broader. This turned out to be the The school of Paris.